Report from Guatemala
- Palin is located in the department of Esquintla, and is located one hour from the capital city
- It is recognized as one of the most violent communities in Guatemala, with extreme poverty and little access to education.
- One of the young men who was an integral member and leader to the team, Luis Larios, was murdered a year ago because of the violence in the community.
- The lacrosse team is called “Bob’s Lacrosse,” named after their good friend and Maya Lacrosse founder, Bob Stuart.
- Bob’s Lacrosse was the second team formed in Guatemala; all of the participants work and study.
- Currently, there are 15 boys and 6 girls who practice lacrosse 2 times a week, and many practice with each other in the streets of their community.
- Many people from the surrounding rural indigenous communities migrate to Xela to seek jobs and better economic opportunities.